Highlights from the second stage of our Campaign, October 2014 – December 2015:
After our several attempts to lobby Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Israel, MK Tzipi Hotovely (Likud), to make Israel’s legal rights to Judea and Samaria an integral part of Israel’s diplomatic platform, we were pleased when MK Hotovely announced the publication of a document defending these rights which would be distributed to embassies worldwide as the official policy of the state of Israel.
MK Bezalel Smotritch wrote a letter affirming our legal rights to Judea and Samaria and protesting the discrimination of projects in Judea and Samaria by the US State Department. This letter was then brought by Legal Ground’s co-chair, Jeff Daube, to congress where it was presented to various members of Congress who promised to look into this issue.
MK Miki Zohar (Likud) wrote an op-ed about Israel’s rights to the land of Israel and expressed the importance of the Legal Grounds campaign. He wrote: “As part of my work as a member of Knesset, I have met with representatives of the Legal Grounds Campaign, a group of activists fighting for the recognition of the legal rights of Israel to all of the land of Israel. They are backed by leading legal scholars, experts in international law. Their agenda should be the official policy of the State of Israel.”
Legal Grounds took part in several important meetings in the Knesset, including a meeting of the Caucus against the Delegitimization of Israel (June 15th) and a meeting of the Caucus for the land of Israel (November 2nd), in which Israel’s legal rights were discussed by several members of Knesset.
Legal Grounds’ strategist organized a meeting in the Knesset where pro-Zionist organizations presented their platform to Members of Knesset and their staffers. Present at the meeting were: Deputy Minister Ayoub Kara (Likud), MK Bezalel Smotritch (Bayit Yehudi), MK Avraham Nagosa (Likud), MK Oren Hazan (Likud), MK Anat Berko (Likud) and MK Motti Yogev (Bayit Yehudi).
We also met with several Members of Knesset personally, who have expressed their support for our campaign and have started working on our behalf to ensure the government constantly reaffirms its legal rights to the land of Israel. The list of MKs includes: MK Yoav Kisch (Likud), MK Bezalel Smotritch (Bayit Yehudi), MK Sharren Haskel (Likud), MK Anat Berko (Likud), MK Shuli Mualem (Likud), and many more.
Highlights from the first stage of our Campaign, October 2013 – August 2014:
We have participated twice in Knesset events.
- On February 18, MK Robert Ilatov ran a hearing on the delegitimization of Israel. Our Campaign brought Dr. Harel Arnon, law professor and co-author of “Land Laws and International Law in Judea and Samaria,” and a member of our Legal Advisory Board, to speak about Israel’s rights.
A clip from his talk, which was exceedingly well received:
- MK Ilatov was so pleased that he said he would run an entire session on our legal rights. As a result, a conference that Legal Grounds helped to organize was held on July 21. Co-chaired by MK Ilatov and MK Ayelet Shaked, it was titled “From de-legitimation to re-legitimation: Using Israel’s legal rights to combat BDS.” Among the speakers we brought was well-known international lawyer, law professor, and member of our Legal Advisory Board Eugene Kontorovich.
Here you have a clip from his talk:
- We have provided printed materials for educational purposes, first for the Knesset, but also for various other conferences and gatherings.
- We knew that MKs were utilizing this material: For example, MK Ofir Akunis borrowed a line from the material directly in an interview he gave.
- We have been involved with interviews. For example, Co-Chair Jeff Daube gave an interview on i24, the 24-hour Internet news channel broadcasting from Israel:
Via press releases and meetings with individual journalists, we have generated media attention.